How a Construction Accident Lawyer Can Help You Recover
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are over 100,000 injuries on construction sites each year, including more than 1,000 fatalities. The occupational hazards associated with building and demolition include dangers from falls, machinery, impact injuries from dropped objects, and asbestos exposure from older materials. After construction accidents, lawyers are often the last concern on a worker’s mind, but the right attorney could help you and your family immensely.
We at Falcon Law Firm have put together the following information on the most common construction accidents, the limits of workers’ compensation, and how we may work to achieve a settlement or damages verdict in your favor. If you need more specific information right away, call us at 732-660-1200 for a free, confidential consultation.
Read on to learn more about construction accidents and your rights after a worksite injury.
Table of Contents
- The Most Common Types of Construction Accidents
- Is Workers’ Compensation Enough for Construction Accidents?
- How Can a Construction Accident Lawyer Achieve a Settlement?
- How To Contact a Construction Accident Attorney
- Testimonials for Falcon Law Firm
- Construction Accidents FAQ
The Most Common Types of Construction Accidents
With all the moving parts and heavy-duty tools associated with construction work, the risk of injury is high. The medical and financial consequences of such injuries can be devastating and long-lasting.
- Welding/fire injuries: Welding work can cause vision impairment due to bright light exposure, and burns from flame or heated metal. The sparks from welding could create fires if they land on flammable construction materials. All of these are preventable.
- Caught in/between accidents: If a worker is pinched or squeezed between two or more objects, the resulting crushing injuries could cause a lifetime disability.
- Electrocutions: Contact with power lines, live wires, and electrical currents can cause shocks, burns, and fatal injuries. The construction industry has the highest rate of fatal electrical injuries, and surviving family members may need to file a wrongful death claim.
- Falls and scaffolding accidents: When working high-up, employees are entitled to safety equipment like harnesses. If you were injured due to a lack of safety, faulty gear, or poor-quality equipment, a construction accident lawyer can help you seek full consideration under the law.
- Impact injuries: Impact from heavy or swinging objects, machines that tip over on uneven ground, or dropped objects that fall from great heights can cause injuries as catastrophic as those associated with car accidents.
- Toxic exposure: Exposure to toxic materials like asbestos, chemical solvents, pesticides, and other industrial or environmental hazards can poison or otherwise damage a worker’s health on construction sites.
The long-term consequences of construction injuries can mean ongoing medical care, interruptions to employment, and psychological trauma to workers and their families. Workers’ compensation may not be able to cover all that was lost. Contact an experienced construction accident lawyer to explore all your options.
Is Workers’ Compensation Enough for Construction Accidents?
Workers’ comp insurance is meant to cover the cost of work-related injuries or illnesses. Your employer is mandated to carry workers’ compensation, but they may not carry enough.
Workers’ compensation should include:
- Coverage for medical bills, including follow-up treatment
- Lost wages compensation and other employment benefits like health insurance
- Vocational training to establish a worker with new skills if he or she cannot return to their original job
One or more of these aspects may be missing from your workers’ comp payout. Alternatively, the amount provided may be inadequate for the needs of you and your family. In these circumstances, construction accident law firms like Falcon Law may help you access all of the resources available to your situation.
How Can a Construction Accident Lawyer Achieve a Settlement?
If workers’ compensation is insufficient to meet your needs after a construction accident, lawyers well-versed in workplace and build-site injuries may bring a lawsuit to account for:
- Improper management: Management failures could mean a company failed to provide enough time or workers to safely perform a task. Similarly, they may have skimped on proper safety gear. An attorney can argue that an injury for you should be a liability for them.
- Defective tools or equipment: In some cases, the designer or manufacturer of a defective or unsafe piece of machinery or equipment can be held liable for damages resulting from an accident.
- Wrongful death: For the surviving family members of a deceased worker, the financial and emotional damages are profound. These include loss of wages, insurance, and pension, as well as loss of companionship, support, and guidance.
An experienced attorney can help translate these losses into figures the law can recognize and reward. Construction accident lawyers also know how to investigate the cause of your injury as far back as it takes to locate the responsible party. This is the work construction accident law firms do so that you can recover in peace.
An experienced construction accident lawyer can help translate your financial and emotional losses into figures the law can recognize and reward.
How To Contact a Construction Accident Attorney
Dangerous jobs don’t mean you should expect accidents or injuries. Instead, a dangerous workplace means you should expect higher standards of safety and support. If you’ve been injured on the job, the law may well be on your side when it comes to accessing the recovery resources you need.
The Falcon Law Firm serves New Jersey (we are based in Monmouth County), as well as portions of Pennsylvania like Doylestown. We offer English- and Spanish-language legal advice and services, and are ready to answer your questions about work-related injuries on construction sites.
Reach out to the Falcon Law Firm by calling 732-660-1200, or by filling out our online contact form to schedule a free, confidential appointment. You’ve put in enough hard work, now trust Falcon Law to work hard for what you and your family deserve.
Testimonials for Falcon Law Firm
Just as important as our winning case results are the opinions held by our previous clients. Hear about their experiences with Falcon Law Firm:
Patrick Falcon and his staff are very friendly. They really have a great knowledge of the law. The Falcon Law Firm fought for me tooth-and-nail, so I could be compensated for my life-long injuries. Mr. Falcon was thoughtful and concerned about my well being in this case. He guided me 100% during a stressful and painful time in my life. Thank you, Patrick and Staff!-Robert B.
The staff at Falcon Law Firm listen and respond to your concerns, and work diligently to resolve and achieve compensation for you and your family. They always have time and answer any question, and will review everything with you to make sure you understand what the process will be.-Karen L.
Pat and his team are very hands-on with handling your case. They will definitely get you what you ask for. If not, they will get you as much as they can. I was told they work for you and they mean that. They will handle your case with the care and well thought-out process it needs.-Kiana R.